Friday, September 8, 2017

Tricks: How to search in Gmails

Many times we need to search some emails in the Gmail, but instead of simply searching for a name or key word, there are many useful tricks in Gmail that can save you a lot of time. Here are some of the tricks I use all the time for search in my life. 

Using different operators

  • Finding emails with Obama in subject line
subject:Obama
  • Finding the unread emails from Obama with attachment that emails
is:unread from:Obama has:attachment
  • Finding emails larger than 10 MB in size: 
size:10MB
  • Finding emails larger than 5 MB and smaller than 10 MB in size: 
larger_than:5m smaller_than:10M 
  • Finding emails larger than 5 MB and older than 1 year
larger:5m older_than:1y
  • Finding emails with word document as the attachment
filename:.doc
  • Finding all the emails with attachment in drafts
in:drafts has:attachment 
  • Finding emails between two dates
after:2011/08/22 before:2011/08/31 

Combining operators

By default, Gmail combines with multiple operators with 'AND', for example, the above one is finding the emails after 2011/08/22 AND 2011/08/31. But there are more options:
  • Search exact phrase
"good day"
Note that, if you search only for good day, you will get results from emails contain both good and day in them, but they may not contain good day phrase. 
  • Search emails containing either Iron man OR Spider man
"Iron man" OR "Spider man"
  • Search emails not containing day but have good in it
good -day
  • Search emails have dinner and movie in the subject line
subject:(dinner movie)
This will find emails have both dinner and movie in the subject line, but they are maybe not a phrase.

2 comments:

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete